Thursday, April 4, 2013

Writing vs. Reading


Writing is both different and similar in many ways to reading. With writing, there is a writing process which consists of many steps. Some of these steps are brainstorming, revising, and proofreading. In reading there are steps that are similar but not quite the same. Instead of brainstorming, like one does in writing, in reading one might just simply skim over their reading to get a general idea of what they are reading. And like proofreading in writing, when someone reads to further understand the text, they read and reread. If one is to “revise” their reading I think of this as trying to dissect what the author is trying to say. However writing and reading are quite different from each other. I say this because of my own personal experience. For me it is a lot easier to read something and understand it than it is to understand what I’m writing about and clearly communicate my ideas to my audience. Reading is also more relaxing and less stressful because it can be used for leisurely purposes. Some of the only ways writing is leisurely for me is found in social networking and communicating to friends and family.
Both Reading and writing do take work though. Not all reading is easy or interesting. At times reading take some digging into to truly understand certain authors are trying to explain or hint at. Most writing takes lots of time to dive into to make sure all the thoughts that are put down on paper are communicated clearly and efficiently.

No comments:

Post a Comment