Thursday, April 11, 2013

Visual Rhetoric

Visual rhetoric is becoming one of the biggest ways we communicate to each other in today's society. Whether it is by the media, or for friends, it is the easiest way to communicate.  One of my newest favorite pieces of visual rhetorical media is a phone app for Iphones called Tinder.  Tinder is a dating app that matches individuals who click the "like" button for each other.  It pulls information from your Facebook and allows you to view individuals who are within 20-50 miles radius of where you are. It allows you to be anonymous in the since that, the only people who can see your activity are the individuals that you match up with.  You can even chat with the.  Now the people who you don't "like" will never that you disliked them.  It is pretty discrete.  For the short amount of time that I had this app downloaded, I enjoyed my time, however, I did have some racy experiences that lead me to deleting that app.  The entire app is made of mostly pictures with very few words.  It mentions age and name. Pinterest works the same way.  All pictures with very few words. You may like whatever picture is presented and you can post on your own boards to keep the links to the ideas that you like.  Facebook has the same appeal.  Even though we can post events and messages on each others walls, a huge part of Facebook is the image that you portray of yourself.  Thankfully they have settings that allow you to guard what you are tagged in.  As much as I enjoy visual images, I do think it doesn't convey everything that words can.  We would be a lost world with out words.  Things could easily be skewed without explanation.  Often times, a picture doesn't do justice.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your statement but I also believe that sometimes a picture captures what we cannot describe in words. That dating app sounds sketchy, I had a friend who got stalked for like a year from something like that.

    ReplyDelete